Well it is the New Year and many people will have started with a New Year’s Resolution. For many this may be to lose weight or exercise more. Here’s a rather crazy and fun idea that might just inspire you …. get ‘Fit as a Bird’!!
(Disclaimer: We confirm that none of the below ridiculous exercises have been clinically proven to help with fitness or weight loss, but will hopefully cause some hilarity!)
- Flap your arms as if you are trying to take off. Do this vigorously for ten seconds then have a rest for ten then do it again – repeat several times until your arms feel like they might drop off or you succeed and actually take off! I reckon this will be good for all your arm muscles and your chest muscles too – birds have huge chest muscles attached to a large plate-like sternum so it must be good!
- Pretend you are a Sanderling – go down to the beach and follow the waves in and out. You have to keep from getting your feet wet by dashing back and forth up and down the beach – or use your imagination and do it in the living room if you feel shy
- Get flexible by pretending to be a heron looking for fish – lots of high steps and careful balancing, then lean right down and study the water (or carpet) carefully stretching those tendons at the back of the legs and stretching the back. You could even pretend to be a Reddish Egret and dash about while flapping out one arm then the other – trying to scare the fish into moving – what fun!
- Be a Turnstone. Gather together some large rocks and other heavy objects like logs, big books or small children – now go around flipping them over – great for arm and back strength (but do pull those core muscles in first!)
- Imagine you are a moorhen. Have you ever watched how they swim with their head moving back and forth constantly – very good for the neck and back muscles I suspect. Alternatively dip up and down like a Dipper or wag you bottom up and down like a wagtail or sandpiper!
- Eat seeds (and nuts) – great roughage, full of nutrients and very good for you generally – makes a better snack for you if you trying to be healthier than whatever you are having now (probably) – especially if what you have now is a biscuit! I imagine worms would be good too but I can’t bring myself to try them
- Be a roadrunner – shout “meep-meep” and run as fast as you can for a distance – however far seems like a good idea. If you want your impersonation to be really good you should run a little way with back held horizontally to the ground, then stop and rise up to full height before dashing off again. You might want to make a long tail to hold out behind you to complete the effect – but that might get you funny looks!
- Dance like a Manakin or one of those crazy birds-of-paradise. They really do some fabulous moves – copy them to burn lots of calories
- Get someone to hide your food in containers round the house and in the garden. Birds have to search for ages for their food and you’ll burn plenty of calories as you wander around checking inside and under things, becoming more and more frustrated at having nothing to eat
- I am sure there are plenty of bird mating rituals you could try out to see if they entice your partner into – ah, sorry, apparently I am now going too far – look up Great Crested Grebes dancing! (Or Cranes)
So there you have it – the fun way to lose weight and get fit for birders. Go for it and let me know if it works!! #birdfit2017